Tuesday, July 6, 2010

27 Weeks!

(A day late, but not a dollar short...)

So now I'm at 27 weeks, which means I have only 13 weeks left. Except that I am planning on going late* and being induced at 41 weeks. So I really have 14 weeks left.

I am now in the third trimester. Sounds exciting, because it's the home stretch, right? Well, I've been secretly dreading it. Lots of trials and tribulations may loom over the coming weeks: swollen feet and ankles, back pain, lack of sleep, general discomfort, the possible return of morning sickness, and the possible diagnosis of pregnancy complications like gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia, to name a few. Fortunately, what I've been experiencing isn't too bad -- as long as it's not 115 outside. But some days, it is.

Last week, I came home from work and discovered I must have left my ankles at the office, because I sure couldn't see them between my calves and my feet! After elevating them and using my heat wrap for 15-20 minutes, they started to reappear. That was the day it was 115. Since then, I've been more conscientious of elevating my feet during the day. I even found a step stool to keep in my cube.

I'm also enjoying back pain. Ugh. Worse yet, I think I'm developing sciatica. My tail bone hurts on one side. I didn't know that was even possible until I felt it. (I mentioned it to someone at work who said it could be back labor -- which would be worse than sciatica. I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.)

The good news is that swimming is great for both of these ailments, and the MacDaddy found the key to the pool at our condo. It's really nice -- looks out over the lake! So I've been swimming more and more.

Also good news: Mac is getting to be a really active baby. Okay, that might not seem as good once he's out and crawling/running around, but for now, it's a sign of good health. I'll take it, gladly!

Tomorrow will be two big milestones for me: the glucose tolerance test, and our first Lamaze/birthing class. We're a little early for the class, but it works best for the MacDaddy's school schedule. Next week, I'll find out the results of the glucose tolerance test--i.e., whether I'll be able to purchase another 40-pack of ice cream treats from Costco. Don't worry, MacDaddy -- they won't go to waste! I plan to finish them off before we get the results!

* I know, I could very well go early -- and, in fact, my doctor might even induce a week early if, as my mom keeps threatening, I'm having a 14-pound baby. But if I consistently plan on going full term + one week, I won't be too disappointed if I actually do, right?

1 comment: