Friday, August 20, 2010

Another BP Update

So I had my 34-week appointment today. I had pretty decent BP numbers the two times we checked it over the last couple of weeks, so I wasn't expecting anything unusual.

You know it's not going to be good, though, when the NP taking your blood pressure stops pumping, then says, "You know, I'm going to pump a little higher. Sorry if the band gets tight." And it wasn't great. My reading this time was 150/92. To give you a frame of reference, "normal" is 120/80 or below. And the benchmark my doctor gave me last time (i.e., call if it's at or above...) was 130/85. Doctors generally consider blood pressure an issue for a pregnant woman if it's at or above 140/90.

So, now what? Well, first off, my doctor very clearly said that 150/92 does not worry her, and that she'll tell me when it's time to worry. That being said, it's enough of a flag to warrant additional testing and monitoring.  She gave me an order for blood work, and I went right after my appointment (the lab is in the same parking lot), so hopefully she'll get my results over the weekend. Also, I go in for an appointment on Monday for another BP check. Other than that, it's kind of wait-and-see.

My doctor also told me to "take it easy," but that I'm not on bed-rest yet, so I plan to enjoy the weekend! That's fortunate, too, because Gigi and Aunt Coco are coming to town today for my shower tomorrow!

Oh, and the good news: Mac is doing really well. His heart rate is in the 140s-150s. And although those numbers are bad for my BP, they are great for his heart rate!

I'll update again on Monday for my 34-week update, as well as my doctor appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment